NEWS & EVENTS – MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
Virtual Presentation of Mahindra SAE BAJA 2019 Competition
MITS Mechanical All Terrain vehicle team PISTONHEADS with faculty advisors at Chitkara University, punjab on 13th July 2018 after the virtual presentation of Mahindra SAE BAJA 2019 competition
SAE Aero Design Challenge 2018
Team Free Beast, with their flight at SAE Aero Design Challenge, Anna University Campus on 11th July 2018
International Conference (ICAMMS 2018) (15th and 16th January 2018)
International conference on Advanced Manufacturing and Material Science (ICAMMS) was a two day technical event organized by the Mechanical Engineering Department.
The conference theme was so designed to cover the recent developments in manufacturing and material science.
We received around 170 research articles of authors from USA, France, South Africa, South Korea and from premier institutions in India like IISc, IITs, NITs and other leading institutions.
The selected 50 articles will be published in Springer Nature.
The inaugural address was given by Mr.Prasad K Panicker, the executive director in charge of cochin refinery of bharat petroleum corporation limited (BPCL).
Professor Kim L Pickering professor of materials science and engineering, University of Waikato was the conference chair and keynote speaker of the event.
SAE Tractor Design Competition
A 25 member Tractor Design and Manufacturing team of S4 Mechanical is participating in the National level Tractor design and fabrication Competition conducted by SAE in February 2018. Training was conducted in the CAD lab by two trainers from Thar Sports and 15 team members attended the training. Training dates were 22, 23 December and from 26- 30 December. In the training, design and analysis of tractor was done. Design and analysis was done using Solid Works software.Solid works officially sponsored 25 software licenses for the 'Team Brain Storm' for design and analysis.The team has successfully completed the design of the tractor and submitted the design report and cost estimate to SAE. Manufacturing phase of the tractor will start by 15th January 2018 at MITS using the lab facilities of the college. OEN connectors has officially sponsored the electrical components and systems. Team is in search of sponsors to meet the financial requirements including the purchase of the 17HP engine
A Window to Design
Pratheek P Ashok, an industrial designer by profession and also an alumnus of NID, was very enthusiastic in explaining the scope of pursuing career in designing. Currently, he works with Navgathi Marine Design and Construction in a project of designing solar boats. The session was arranged in the MITS CAD Lab on 28 September 2017. He briefed clearly the courses being offered at National Institute of Design and why should someone pursue the particular course. He also put into the light as to how the admission procedures are conducted by the NID and how someone should approach for admission. He also showed us some of his design works.
- September 2017 - Orientation programme conducted for S1 and S3 students by S7 ME student Eldhose Paul giving out the importance and benefits of entrepreneurship and IEDC MITS.
Two-Days Hands-on Workshop on Machine Learning with R-Programming
- IEDC and Mechanical Engineering Department of MITS in association with ED Cell of IIT-Roorkee has conducted a ‘Two-Days Hands-on Workshop on Machine Learning with R-Programming’ for students/faculty, on August 25 & 26 organized at Muthoot Institute of Technology And Science (MITS),Varikoli. The session was held in our college on 25-26- August 2017 [Friday-Saturday] from 9.30 am to 4.30pm in CAD LAB (New Block). All the 39 participants got the hands-on experience on Data Mining and Machine learning using java and R programming. Mechanical engineering faculty who have registered are Mr.Rony M, Mr.Vipin Vijayan, Mr. Prisley VM, Mr. Pradeepmon, Mrs. Nimmu Ivan M Students coordinators: Savio Bhasy and Eldhose paul.
Hands-On Workshop on IC Engine Overhauling
- Department of Mechanical Engineering (ME) in association with Srishti Robotics conducted a hands-on workshop on IC Engine overhauling on 19th August 2017 for the students of MITS. All the 53 participants got the rare chance to experience the live demonstration of a four-stroke petrol engine parts and its working; analyse all the components first hand; dismantling and reassembly of an entire engine and so on. The workshop was coordinated by Ms. Nimmu Mary Ivan (Assistant Professor, ME) and Mr. Rony Thomas Murickan (Assistant Professor, ME). In the Valedictory session of the workshop, participation certificates were distributed to all the students.
Session on 'Motivation and Responsibility'
- A session on 'Motivation and Responsibility' was held for the students of MITS on 9th August 2017. The resource person for the session was Dr.Brijesh Paul (Professor, ME Dept., Mar Athanasius College of Engineering, Kothamangalam) who is an expert in the field of Motivational Talks and Career Development.
FDP on Fuzzy Logic & Genetic Algorithm
Mr. Pradeepmon T.G., Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, MITS was a resource person for FDP on Fuzzy Logic & Genetic Algorithm which was conducted on 27th & 28th July at AdiShankara Institute Of Engineering & Technology,Kalady.
Awareness Program for GATE
- An awareness program on the importance of GATE/GRE/CAT to the engineering graduates was conducted for the S7ME students by the Department of Mechancial Engineering in association with Triumph Institute of Management (T.I.M.E) on 27th July 2017 at MITS and was presented by Mr. Swaroop Menon, Senior Manager, T.I.M.E, Cochin.
Session on NEBOSH
- Arbrit safety training and consultancy group hosted a session on NEBOSH for the S7ME students of MITS on 19th July 2017.Arbrit is a globally accredited ISO 9001:2015 certified, safety training and consultancy group. The purpose of this workshop was to hold an interactive discussion about the extensive range of health and safety training courses recognized by NEBOSH and other technical training provided by Arbrit.
- July 2017 - Teams from MITS consisting of S4ME students( 25 members) was shortlisted for the first round of SAE BAJA Competition (an all terrain vehicle designing and fabrication contest conducted by SAE India). Competition will be held at Chitkara University, Chandigarh on July 14th and 15th 2017.
- July 2017 - Dept. has got confirmation to act as Zonal Centre for conducting a workshop on machine learning in association with the ED Cell of IIT, Roorkee. At Present, MITS is the only college in Kerala to get this opportunity.
- The department of Mechanical Engineering has conducted an awareness programme on “Opportunities in Defence” on 04.07.2017 , Friday by Col. Boban Kurian (Retd.) in the seminar hall (304 ) from 9.30 am-12.30 p.m, detailing about the various entry schemes and eligibility criteria for different categories. The talk was followed by a discussion and an interactive session on some tips and tricks to ace SSB interviews.Around 140 students from all departments have participated in the program.
The program was organised by Ms.Nimmu Mary Ivan and Mr.Rony Thomas Murikan.
- A 3-day workshop titled “Design of an All Terrain Vehicle” was conducted in the CAD lab of MITS College from 21- 23 rd June ,2017 hosted by the ME Department in association with SAE-MITS Club.
- 2/26/2016 Fund raising events by organised by S6 ME students during “SENSAI” tech fest organised by Dept. of CSE was successful.
- 10/2/2016 Talk by MVI Vinod Kumar on Awareness on Traffic rules and Motor Vehicles Act.
- 27/1/2016 Talk by Padmashri MC Dathan on How to love a job and accept a profession & India in Space Research.
9/10/2015 MOU with Metal scan for NDT training METAL SCAN.
9/10/2015 Industrial talk on Application of NDT in Quality Assurance and Quality Control by Mr. Ramprakash BE, MSc.
17/9/2015 MOU with Metal scan for Ansysis raining TTRC.
17/9/2015 Industrial talk on Product design and validation by (FEA/CFD) Mr. Shino Ulahannan(Director & Project Head – Airframe Aerodesigns Pvt. Ltd. (AAPL).
11/8/2015 Blood donation Camp in association with General Hospital Aluva & IMA IMA.
34 Students from S5 ME 2013-2017 batch is attending Value added training for NDT along with their curriculum in our campus METAL SCAN Inspection Services, Opposite to North Railway Station, North Railway Station Road, Ernakulam.
22 Students from S5 ME 2013-2017 batch is attending Value added traing for ANSYS Design Software along with their curriculam in our campus TTRC, Chooraparmbil building, Alinchuvadu, Edapally P.O, Ernakulam.
Mr Ajith Joseph and Mr Amal Raju S5 ME 2013-2017 batch is attending industrial oriented training program in DELPHI Connection Systems India Ltd, Vetikkal Road, Thiruvaniyoor, Ernakulam.
Newsletter is monthly and is issued online to everyone.
30/3/2015 : Inaugration and launching of “FREE FALL” ME Department News letter by Prof Bhasi Marath, Head of School of Management Studies, CUSAT.